I recently rediscovered that I love reading. Okay so when I was a child my favorite subject was reading, it meant that I got one on one time with my mom. We were a home school family with often our lessons were done together. Reading was that time where I got to pick out a book, and we would slowly make our way through the book. Sometimes my brother read with us but usually because my brother and I had drastically different tastes, often we did it separately.
Then in middle school and high school, I would go to school with two things in my bag at all times. My journal filled with fanfictions and stories that I had written. And then I had a book I was working through. I also was bullied a lot in middle school, so books were my escape. I rush home and do my homework so I could finish the book that I was reading.
When I went to college I was struggling with the teaching courses I took, so I decided to switch to English because I loved reading. I say that now but boy I was in for a surprise of my life. English Majors do lots of reading, reading 4-5 novels per week. As I started these 3 years at San Jose State, my head swam with the stories that I read. Shakespeare, Dickens, Rowling, Garcia, Conrad, Steinbeck, and many more were some of the authors I enjoyed. When I graduated in 2010, I was spent. My brain did want to absorb another novel.
I would still read graphic novels and fanfictions but picking up a book was not my cup of tea.
I would spend times when I was reading and times when I wasn’t. It was almost like an obsession.
Recently I jumped back into reading. I had to come up with a goal for a class. And I thought okay, I’m exhausted from reading homework and spend to much time on my phone that I wanted to my eyes a break, so I chose reading. I can hear you saying “That sounds like a horrible idea” Well 4 books later and achieving my goal in one week, I have rediscovered that I love reading.
However like everything else in my life I am picky. Oh, you didn’t know this about me? Yes, I’m picky. I don’t like condiments, I don’t like soft foods, I only read a graphic novel with my favorite characters in it. I don’t watch rated R movies. This extends the books. I just read Christian Contemporary, Christian Historical, and Christian Romance. I tend to stay within the Authors I love. I have some of my favorite books that I will read over and over again. Reading has been my escape, much like this blog has been a sounding board for my life, reading has shaped my life to examine the world, be observant and it’s okay to get lost in a book. Some evenings when I am reading, and Jman is playing video games are the most comfortable evenings.
Here are some books that I recommend.
- Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers- This historical novel is a retelling of the Book of Hosea, its beautifully written, and tell the story of love, forgiveness, and God’s grace.
- The Pretense by Lori Wick, this is a contemporary novel that follows a family through life and hardship. Its also mostly set in San Francisco which is one of my favorite places.
- The Shofar Blew by Francine Rivers, This book is a book about love and God’s grace, and also teaches lessons about being in the image of God does not mean that you get all the glory.
- True Honor by Dee Henderson, in this fast-paced novel, it gives people a glimpse into the world of military and protection and faith during the most trying times.
- A Bride most Begrudging by Deann Gist in this love story, set in the colonial times, this is a story of love, forgiveness, and an account of working together.
2 Kings 22:16 New Living Translation (NLT)
16 ‘This is what the Lord says: I am going to bring disaster on this city[a]and its people. All the words written in the scroll that the king of Judah has read will come true.